About Me

My photo
I started cooking as a kid and have found it to be a passion for me throughout my life. I've worked in a cooking specialty store, ran a catering company and most importantly, fed my family and expressed my love for them through food.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Roasted Potato Soup - A deeper shade of flavor



Apologies to my mother to start...I grew up with the most embarrassing idea of  potato soup.  It as like plain milk with semi-hard potatoes floating sparsely in the sad, flavorless broth.  Though it didn't look very good, it also didn't taste good either. 

THIS however is not my mother's Potato soup....and the difference is that you roast the spuds and onions, intensifying the flavors and frankly, making this so easy.  You don't even peel the spuds.  Genius!

Take about 4-6 medium sized potatoes along with 1 large videlia onion.  Cut the potatoes in 1 inch chunks...same with the onions.  Toss them onto a jelly roll pan....drizzle about 2 tablespoons of olive oil on em, and sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper.  With clean hands, you put our right hand in, and you toss it all about.  Pop into the oven for about 30-40 minutes.

In your soup pot, dump the hot potatoes and onions in...add about 5 cups of chicken broth. Using a blender (I use a stick blender and just put it right down into the soup pot), puree till as smooth or chunky as you choose.  IF you use a regular blender and you can take the round thing off the top...do it...replace the lid and put a kitchen towel over the hole)  Return to the pot and add in enough additional broth to get it to the thickness you want.  I usually add about 1/2 cup of half and half or milk.  Then adjust seasoning (salt and pepper, chopped parsley, dill, etc..  This is so simple and satisfying and you'll notice that the flavor is deepened by the roasting. 

You may want to top with some caramelized onions or fresh green onions or cheddar cheese. 

Now...if you want to get creative, use the same principle with other winter veggies...carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, etc.  Play with your food, I say!

Roasting makes a huge difference here. 

Happy Eating!  Let me know how it goes!!!  Love to hear what you all make!

No comments:

Post a Comment