About Me

My photo
I started cooking as a kid and have found it to be a passion for me throughout my life. I've worked in a cooking specialty store, ran a catering company and most importantly, fed my family and expressed my love for them through food.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Hankering for Hash

As your classic "good girl", I wrote the title of today's blog and then realized, others may not think of a tasty use for leftovers when they talk about hash!!!  But I do! 

I made a classic roast beast in the slowcooker yesterday with quarter potatoes and chunks of carrots.  Then for a wintry lunch today, I transformed humble leftovers to heavenly hash. 

What is hash?  Here is what it is NOT...it is not the nasty stuff in a can that Hormel calls corned beef cash, I mean hash.  Simply put, hash is usually a way to use up roasted meat and potatoes by caramelizing them in a skillet.  I soft cook a few eggs on top and it turns into this crusty, savory gutbuster of a meal. 

To a large skillet set on HIGH heat for 2 minutes, add a splash of veggie oil, about 1/4 to 1/2 of a chopped onion and saute till tender.  Add 1 garlic clove chopped fine and saute till it starts smelling up the joint.  hmmm.  Throw in your leftover meat, potatoes and carrots chopped medium.  Flip this around till coated with the onions and garlic, add some salt and pepper and set the heat on Medium.  Spread out the mixture in the pan.  Here's the part that doesn't seem to make sense...Add about 2 tablespoons of heavy cream...pour it over the mixture.  Cover the pan and let it bubble in there till you hear it sizzle..it will have absorbed the cream and started to get crusty.  With a pancake turner, flip yer hash in sections. 

One last step....as the backside is getting crusty (that sounds like a country song!), make four small wells or dents in the hash (I use the back of a large soup spoon to press down the mixture) and crack a large egg into each dent and sprinkle the eggs with salt and pepper.  Cover the pan with the heat on medium low for about 4 minutes...check em and cook them to the point you like....runny is so tasty with toast.  A little longer and it is like a soft cooked egg.  This makes about 4 servings.  That's it. 

The eggs are optional..if you have a lot of leftovers to work with, you could do more dents and eggs.  This is a guideline...the fun really comes when you see where it takes you!

SOOOOO good and practical...any meat and taters works....think about adding stuff to the saute of onions and garlic....artichoke hearts?  Sun dried tomatoes?  Capers?  Olives?  Or maybe a good salsa or pesto on the side. 

Happy Eating

No comments:

Post a Comment