About Me

My photo
I started cooking as a kid and have found it to be a passion for me throughout my life. I've worked in a cooking specialty store, ran a catering company and most importantly, fed my family and expressed my love for them through food.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Red Wine Winter Stew - comfort for a winter's night - and a bonus meal

As the snow comes down here in Nebraska tonight, here's an actual crock pot meal (which I rarely do because frankly, they don't always taste good).  This one includes dry soup mix....BLASTPHOMY...unless it is in this recipe.  I'll get to some more complicated things later but for now, just sharing the good stuff.
Here ya go!

Dredge 2 pounds of lean stew meat (cut in 1 inch cubes) in about 1 cup of flour seasoned with salt and pepper.  Brown in a large skillet (you'll need to do it in 2 batches at least) and put into your slow cooker.  You're looking to get really good color on the meat.  Add to the meat one 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes, drained, along with two envelopes beefy onion soup dry mix.  Into the pan that you browned your meat (with the heat on high), add 2 cups of hearty red wine.  Scrap all those yummy bits off of the pan, bring up to a quick boil and then pour this ito the slow cooker.  Give everything a good stir.

Cook it on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4 hours. 

Serve over cooked egg noodles - I love those kuluski egg noodles...they have more thickness and hold up to this dish.  Some other options are mashed potatoes or maybe some polenta.  hmmm.

Now for the fun part...this makes a BIG batch.  Take the leftovers (no noodles, just stew), pour into a 8 inch square baking dish and top with pie crust.  Cut vents in the crust and bake for about 30 minutes.   Yummy beef pot pie.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment